Sunday 30 January 2011

Playmates Kirk and Spock at The City on the Edge of Forever.

For years I stuck with Art Asylum as a source for Star Trek figures. For a long time I've only bought one figure from another line, the Sideshow 1/4 scale figure Spock.
Now I've decided to loosen up a bit and give other manufactures a chance. I changed my mind about only sticking to Art Asylum when I saw Playmates' The City On The Edge Of Forever Kirk and Spock on the shelf in a little shop in Worthing UK.
They're dressed up in the 30s attire from the episode, seeing such an unusual costume on Kirk and Spock figures convinced me to buy them.

One of the reasons I haven't been tempted to buy, well I have to admit the shame, I thought older lines wouldn't be good. Thinking that only figures from the 00s would have proper likeness and details. I missed out years of collecting. A snob I am.


I really like their look, Playmates managed to sculpt a fairly good likeness. Spock's eyebrows are almost over the top elegant, I don't mind, their shapes are gorgeous if not completely accurate. As with the ears Spock's eyebrows changed a bit through the years in the series and films.
I like how sharp the figures eyes are painted, I often have come across figures that have a rather dull look on their eyes. Playmates Kirk and Spock have more expression. Spock even more so, he looks sort of mildly amused. The photo doesn't show it so well but I sense a little smirk over his mouth.
What can't be seen so well on the photos either is their questionable paint on the mouths. I think the colour looks too much like pale lipstick. On the other hand the shapes of their mouths look very much alike Shatner's and Nimoy's.



Looking at the side of the Spock-figure I think the nose looks too straight compared to Nimoy's but overall the profile is pretty much dead on. The mouth and the chin is beautiful sculpted.
Spock has a soft cap to hide his "rice-picker accident" ears but it can be taken of. The shape of the ears are simple but well captured the way they looked in most of the series.

Kirk's profile. He has a little smirk on his mouth too.
The figures have movable joints which can be positioned quite easily. They are a tad bit too loose on my figures. Since these are my first ones I can't say if this is a common problem with this line. They also struggle a bit too keep their balance on their delta-shield shaped bases.
Both the figure comes with a tricorder, a phaser and a communicator. They are not the accurate size but the details and paint are lovely.


The items fits in the figures firm grip, especially the communicators sits safely in Kirk and Spock's hands.



I'm planning to buy more of these special episode figures from Playmates. These two are from a 9" line, there's a 12" line which figures I've seen that looks really good too. Visit http://www.apieceoftheaction.net/ to see more of this line.








No comments: