Monday 24 January 2011

Today's Science Fiction favourite.







I absolutely love this film and I will forever go on loving it.
Made in 1984 this film directed by David Lynch might not be easy on the eye for those who prefer the latest in cgi. From my point of view it looks epic.

There's so many details and so much texture on the costumes and sets that I see something new whenever I re-watch.

The scale is grand, you get the feeling that the space surrounding goes further than what's seen in the film. Some of the machinery, gadgets and ships have a distinctive steampunk style to them.




The story is set in the year 10191 and revolves around a power struggle between different planet's leading houses. The Duke of House Atreides and his family is sent to planet Arakis, also called Dune, to mine the valuable spice Melange which is essential for interstellar space travel. The order is a trap and the beginning of the fulfillment of a prophecy.        



I'm old enough to remember these stars as some of the greatest:


Sean Young the replicant Rachael in Blade Runner,



Kyle MacLachlan of Twin Peaks fame,                                                          



Patric Stewart known from Star Trek:The Next Generation,



Jürgen Prochnow who starred in Das Boot,



Max Von Sydow from The Exorcist,



Virginia Madsen was the lead in Candyman,



and finally Sting.

These are only the actors I knew of before I watched Dune, what a pleasant surprise I say.

Dune is a movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's novel Dune. I haven't read the books and have heard that the film isn't completely accurate. Still it's a beautiful film on its own.  




No comments: