Sunday 13 November 2011

The future is often so gloomy.

I've been watching some strange films in my life and science fiction gives film-makers an opportunity to really go for the weird aesthetic. Metropia looks a bit creepy at times because the actors in this film look a lot like cgi Gerry Anderson puppets with natural texture, eeek.  



The story is set sometime in the future and Europe is connected by an underground travelling net. It's not so often I get to watch a dark gritty future set in Europe but we have such a dark and gritty past so why not.



As with so many futures the anxiety of a government's or a huge corporation's control over individuals is the focal point. As usual with this types of films the control is build further on the basis on what the depressing reality already is. In Metropia it's sure getting depressing, only a strand of hair on our body is enough to listen to our thoughts and communicate new ideas into our minds.  Also all the television sets are equipped with hidden cameras so big-shot corporation creeps can spy on everyday people.

The style of the film is interesting and it's funny how aware I get of texture when all the people and clothes look like little dolls. I paid more attention to the visuals than the story which I felt didn't offer me much new material in this genre.

No comments: